Assignment#3 : Stress

What were the most stressful periods of your life?


WARNING! LONG STORY.





There were several downs in my life but I guess 2016 was the most terrible year I have had.

I got into a shipping company even before graduation. As a maritime university graduate student, I preferred to work in shipping industry. However, I've forgotten one thing: The people in this field are very, very conservative.

I went to a business trip to China with co-worker last April. He is a married man and I had good impression on him. However, that didn't go any longer because he sexually harassed me. Both in words, and in action. He was totally drunk and good thing I wasn't.

I should have immediately reported to the supervisor in head office. But I was afraid for he didn't remember any. Even if I confront him, he would completely ignore me. And I got no proofs at all. Instead of let him realize, I told him not to drink that much.

Without knowing what he did, he got lost in the sauce and committed another mistake. (I would rather call it a crime). My dignity as a woman was destroyed in a far place from Korea. Well, I wasn't even wearing revealing clothes. Jeans, t-shirt, and sneakers, that's it. I knew that nothing had I done wrong.  But I couldn't tell anyone of this, since social norm in Korea is "The victim's fault" when it comes to sexual harassment.

For I know how it is hard to find a position, I couldn't just quit. I had to endure everything. Depression got into me. I felt no taste in food, always having a headache, and living in sensitivity. I was crying every day and night, found no happiness in life. And last August, finally courage inside me urged myself to spit out, to report every incident to the supervisor.

Like above mentioned, those bunch of conservative people known as kkondae in Korean, blamed me. They said "We shouldn't have hired you." "It's because you're woman, you should expect this." "Why would we get stressed when it's us who gives your salary?" "Perhaps, you gave him a chance." What kind of insults are those. They even do have daughter of my age.

I talked my significant others regarding this matter, and "Don't quit." was their answer. They gave me reasons, yet I still don't understand them because I saw no future in that business when that's the attitude of executives. Though my boyfriend supported and understood me, but I had hard time convincing my parents. They're quite conservative too, so they believed that I should just suppress my anger, for them, "It's how Korea works".

So I dropped this January, after couple of debate with mom and dad. And I am now studying in GSIT. I'm not sure whether coming to graduate school was a good decision. BUT! Never in my life I was so happy like this. I've become to enjoy food, studying and even raising a pet, which was my dream! Indeed I'm enjoying life more than ever. I wish someone could erase year 2016 in my life. What a disastrous and stressful year.

댓글

이 블로그의 인기 게시물

Take a stand : Abortion should be legalized in Korea.

News Article # 1

Assignment#4 Gender