Assignment#4 Gender

Why do you think Korea’s gender equality statistics are so low?  Do you think they will change much in the foreseeable future? Do you think gender ‘equality’ should be the goal?


I think it's something to do with Korean's perception regarding gender and its differences. Although Korea has been influenced by Western cultures, still, Korea is full of conservatives. When I say "conservatives", it isn't limited to middle aged or elderly but goes beyond generations. Most Koreans aged more than 60 have firm belief that men do better than women. They are like sponge soaked into water, which is sexual discrimination. Even old women thinks it is universal truth that themselves are inferior to men.

Parent's understanding naturally affects their children's education. How is 30s to 40s' conviction to gender equality? If their parents had intense opinion, maybe some inherited view of their parents', while some embraced a part, and the rest totally did not.
My parent have 3 girls(including me), and lived phillippines, a more westernized country, more than 10 years. But their idea towards gender is nothing much like the old generation.

Even young get influenced by those viewpoints because Korea is becoming an aging society. Several friends of mine are good guys, yet when discussing about gender equality, they stay in the position of a looker-on. Because of the fact that they are less affected than women, they don't seem to care. Their reason is simple as this: Because it has been the way it is.
Hence I do not expect different stories in the future. Perhaps we need more time to change the world.

I think we need to twist the idea of gender 'equality'. Instead, 'human' equality is more appropriate since all sex are humans. Both men and women have differences. But we also do have similarities. We should consider the plus and minus, and try to get both 0. But before that, we should stop point fingers at opposite sex and that's very first step to equality. This is very ideal idea, and the reason why I am presenting this is because it's impossible to achieve equality in Korea. I am pessimistic in this and it's all based on my experience. Before ending my post, I would like to share a story.

(This man is 60 years old and is a professional surveyor whom I met last year in my former office)
Mr : Oh we're congested. Too much traffic.
Me : Yes indeed it is.
Mr : Jihee, do you drive car?
Me : No, there's no need.
Mr : Why not?
Me : Unlike Philippines, where car is essential in life, Korea public transportation is good enough to bring me anywhere.
Mr : But you should know how to drive. Get a license.
Me : Haha, I'll think about it.
Mr : I have BMW and it's suitable for man like me. Last year I bought SUV for my son. You should choose the car represents you.
Me : Although I know not much about cars, BMW and SUV are excellent. That's nice.
Mr : Hey, get a compact car like Matiz. You should better know how to drive.
Me : I will in the future. But why Matiz?
Mr : Matiz is perfect for you. Women's driving sucks.
Me : Haha Thanks for your advice. But I would rather have Ferrari or Lamborghini.
(Feeling like CRA* inside.)


댓글

이 블로그의 인기 게시물

Take a stand : Abortion should be legalized in Korea.

News Article # 1